Monday, July 02, 2007

Mt. Marcy






On June 9th, a group of friends and I embarked to climb Mt. Marcy the tallest point in the state of New York. It is located in the Adirondacks of North East New York. We left on Friday night so that we would have all the daylight needed to hike the over 14 mile trip to the top and back. On our drive to Mt. Marcy it was storming. The rain was falling so fast that just one step outside you would be soaked. I was a bit nervous about camping that night. I was in a SUV but it wasn't large enough for all four of us to sleep very comfortably. Anyways, we had to stop for gas, and I had to use the rest room. So I dashed through the rain into the rear of the gas station, to reach the bathroom which was located behind the storage room. So while I'm sitting there I hear this loud explosion so I just put my head down hoping nothing would land on me in that embarrassing position that I was in (being on the toilet and all). About 2 seconds later the power goes off and I'm sitting in the dark. Luckily the power wasn't out for too long. I found my way out and my friends were there waiting for me. I told them my intense survival story of the bathroom. A few minutes later the power went out again so we hung out in the gas station for a few minutes in the dark hoping that the rain would let up, but it never did. So we made my friend Jessica bring the car close to the door so we wouldn't get too wet. What a trooper she is. :)
The hike the next morning was beautiful. The weather was perfect except that the trail was now really muddy. I only brought my tennis shoes to hike in thinking that they had easy trails here in NY. Boy was I wrong. There was only a two mile stretch that was easy hiking. The rest was mud and huge rocks. The hike up wasn't so bad, but coming down sure did put pressure on all my joints. I wish I had my boots by the end.
Anyways, I've attached a few pictures of the hike for your enjoyment. I hope all are doing well.



Almost to the top:

1 comment:

Sharon said...

FUN, FUN, FUN! And now your hiking in Southern Utah! I'm jealous but happy your having so much fun!